Robin Paulson wrote:
>Sent: 19 March 2008 7:56 AM
>To: Cartinus
>Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] import of dataset for new zealand
>
>On 19/03/2008, Cartinus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Anybody wanting (semi-)read-only tags in OSM should read the discussions
>about
>>  the edit war in Cyprus to see how futile they are for this purpose.
>>
>>  Can't edit a tag? Just delete the whole object and create it anew.
>
>true, but is that really an issue here? why (in this context, with no
>disputes of the magnitude of those in cyprus) would someone do that?
>what if someone does delete a road sourced from linz, and then draws
>it in again? the source of the information for that road is no longer
>linz, it's the person who re-drew it, isn't it?

Correct, if someone deletes data and starts anew then the new data has no
link with the old, provided it wasn't derived from the old. Derived data is
much greyer, since it's likely that with time most objects that get placed
in the database will be further edited, either to change their spatial
aspects or to add additional information. Once the data has been through a
number of changes its really impossible to say that it originated from one
or more parties unless you minutely interrogate the history of each object.

This is one of the reasons why I firmly believe that nobody really owns the
data they put in the database, the reality is that individuals and
organisations contribute to the pool. We all have to accept that we are
making these contributions for the good of the project, not because it puts
our or their names in lights for being associated with the most data. It
should be the same for organisations. If linz is happy to see their data
contributed for the good of all then that's great, if they want to see their
name associated with their data then we can do that by adding source tags
when its imported and using an appropriate username for the import. We can
also provide generic attribution like we give to anyone else on the wiki,
via the news/blog and elsewhere as we did for instance with AND. Beyond that
linz needs to be happy that their data will become diluted with time. This
is probably the most compelling reason why visual attribution on mapping
created from the database just cannot work.

I hope that you can persuade Linz that releasing their data under a modified
attribution approach to the one they prescribe is not about OSM wanting to
have their data only in its own terms. OSM appreciates greatly major
contributions of data and we like to give prominent coverage to those that
do so. The issue is about keeping the approach generic, so that we have one
rule that fits all, as anything less will be impracticable with time.

best of luck with the discussion

Cheers

Andy