On 19/03/2008, Cartinus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Anybody wanting (semi-)read-only tags in OSM should read the discussions about
>  the edit war in Cyprus to see how futile they are for this purpose.
>
>  Can't edit a tag? Just delete the whole object and create it anew.

true, but is that really an issue here? why (in this context, with no
disputes of the magnitude of those in cyprus) would someone do that?
what if someone does delete a road sourced from linz, and then draws
it in again? the source of the information for that road is no longer
linz, it's the person who re-drew it, isn't it?

>  For a more practical example related to mass imports:
>  The waterbodies from the AND import in the Netherlands are often less
> accurate
>  than the Yahoo aerial imaging that has recently become available here. Now I
>  can "tug" at the polygon from the AND import till it conforms better to the
>  Yahoo image and put something in the source tag that reflects both sources.
>  If the source tag was read-only, then I'd delete the polygon from the AND
>  import and trace a new one from the Yahoo image. The net effect would be a
>  break in the edit history, because nothing links the new polygon to the old
>  one.

if you deleted the AND data and then re-drew it, the lake would not
then be sourced from AND, so there is no need to attribute them. it's
a derivative work of you and yahoo.