Tom Hughes wrote:

> Because the name tag is always the name of an object, regardless of
> what that object is (the amenity=pub tells you what sort of object it
> is in this case). It is clear to everybody that a name tag is going
> to tell you the name of something without having to know anything else
> about it.

Yes, I think this is a very good way of looking at it.  Tags such as the
name tag have a global significance - they apply to (almost) all
contexts in the same way.  There are very few of these "global" tags (in
fact I'm not even convinced "ref" should be considered global).

Most other tags only apply to a small number of contexts, so they become
more meaningful if the tag includes a namespace.  Often the same tag
will carry quite different meanings in different contexts, which means
that when taken out of context, the tag becomes very ambiguous.  I think
we really want a situation where you can just look up a tag to find out
what it means, rather than having to work out which of the many
definitions apply.

--

  - Steve
    xmpp:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   sip:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.nexusuk.org/