Steve Hill [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Sent: 23 April 2008 10:03 AM
>To: Andy Robinson (blackadder)
>Cc: 'OJ W'; 'OSM Talk'
>Subject: RE: [OSM-talk] Tagging climbing routes and scrambles
>
>On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
>
>> For a climbing route it's normally the distance of assent that is of
>> interest is it not and I guess for most traditional climbing routes this
>is
>> known? Much easier to state the length of the route than the top and
>bottom
>> elevations? Accepted that you might want to converge on an elevation for
>the
>> start of the route as accuracy of the position is improved with time.
>
>Yes.  There is a climbing:length tag in my proposal,

The point has been made by others that the namespace here is unnecessary. We
know what length= means here so the climbing namespace is superfluous
because what you are tagging is a climbing route.

I haven't commented on the tags here previously but I'll give you my
approach in case it's useful.

So, for example, I'd work on the basis that:

Bottom (start) of section is a node with appropriate information
Top (end) of section is a node with appropriate information

Start to end of section as one way (there may be more than one section in
the route, some climbing and some scrambling etc). Relations can be used to
group the whole route if required/desired. This is the same approach used
currently for all other types of routes in OSM, climbing routes are no
different.

Then I'd start with the OSM basics. Probably with highway=footway first
because it's not logically any of the other highway categories.

Then add footway=climbing to denote that you wouldn't stroll along this
route ;-)

Now for the technical stuff:

rock=limestone
adjectival:gb= (assuming the same route at the same location requires
alternative country grading, if it only applies within the country where the
route is located then the gb would not be required)

technical:fr=
ewbank=
yosemite_decimal_system=  (sticking with plain language is better than
abbreviations)
bolted=true
length=25m

etc

You don't need all the namespace stuff in front provided the
footway=climbing is there in the tags. Then you know the way is a
climb/scramble or whatever.

Anything that has lots of namespaces, abbreviations or other non-obvious
tagging names makes it much more difficult for data contributors to easily
add tags. Simple and logical appears always to work best.

Hope this is helpful

Cheers

Andy