Frederik Ramm wrote:
>    for an upcoming OSM booth we have the offer of a local Apple dealer
> to supply us with all the hardware we want (including 30"+ displays
> and all). These would, however, be out-of-the-box Macs with those
> funny keyboards and those mice without buttons you know... and they
> wouldn't even let us pop an Ubuntu CD in and install a proper OS ;-)

Ubuntu Live CDs end to work on these. That would be one option. Although
Mac OSX works fine.

> My question to the Mac users out there: Will those Macs be suitable
> for demonstrating all important aspects of OSM, i.e.
>
> * Slippy Map (heard rumours that it runs sub-optimal on Safari,
>   always loading tiles for all layers instead of current only?)

If you put JOSM on the hard disk anyway, you can just drop the Firefox
install next to it. It's just moving (drag-n-drop) one directory to
install it.

> * JOSM (especially concerned about usability with 1 button mouse)
Either you use a proper 3-button mouse. You can configure the Apple
Mouse to be a 2-button mouse depending on where you press it down or you
hold ctrl down to achieve a right click. Personally, I would accept the
Macs and pop in a cheap 3-button USB mouse.

> * Potlatch
No problem here. Runs smooth. Does it use right-click at all?

> Or will I have to install countless helpers, utilities and control
> panels?

JOSM mouse handling is the most inconvenient thing.