Dave Stubbs wrote:
>>  A nice 'is_in' link to the 'unique_id' of the way so that one can actually
>>  find all the bus stops on a route ;) Looking at the way things have
>> developed,
>>  is there any reason we can't set a tag for is_in, and then select a way, so
>>  that the key becomes is_in=#xxxxxxxx ?
>>
>>  I don't think Relations has the necessary structure yet to be useful here?
>
> If you want to link two nodes together, then the easiest most obvious
> way of doing it is to use a way. A way is an object that links two or
> more nodes afterall.

But you do not want to link isolated 'bus stop' nodes that way.

> If you want to link a node and a way, the a relation is your tool.
> This is exactly what relations do, they link and relate objects -- the
> advantage over putting IDs in tags is that any editor that supports
> relations in general will know about the connection as will the API,
> and the DB can maintain referential integrity so you don't end up with
> hanging links.
>
> You can do nice things with the API such as
> http://api.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/way/<way_id>/relations -- which
> tells you what relations the way belongs to.

I just look at the Relations page and see lots of 'Proposed' ...

At the end of the day 'is_in' IS a relation so we are probably actually
talking about the same thing, but there is a lot of 'talk' but no practical
examples of actually using 'Relations' - at least none I have found yet?

There needs to be a style guide to direct us as to how it is INTENDED that
Relations should be used, and how a 'bus route' for example could be created
from relationships between the way and possible nodes that relate to it. The
current discussion is addressing small parts of the whole and not providing a
blanket plan to go forward with?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL