On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 07:23:41AM +0200, Jannis Achstetter wrote:
> One thing I just noticed:
> http://www.flickr.com/map?&fLat=49.9993&fLon=9.0702&zl=1&order_by=interestingness
> Since when is my street (Anne-Frank-Straße) correct in Navteq (and
> partly in Teleatlas)? (compare:
> http://geo.topf.org/comparison/index.html?mt0=googlemap&mt1=mapnik&lon=9.0705496&lat=49.999133&z=17)
>
> And: since when does Navteq have our McDonalds? (and why does it look
> exactly the same as in OSM?):
> http://www.flickr.com/map?&fLat=49.9939&fLon=9.0707&zl=1&order_by=interestingness
> (compare:
> http://geo.topf.org/comparison/index.html?mt0=googlemap&mt1=mapnik&lon=9.0715581&lat=49.9946776&z=17)

Whats your point? I see some streets in a TeleAtlas/NavTeq/OSM maps that
overlap at some points and don't at some others. And why does the
McDonalds things look the same? Maybe because we are living in the same
reality and have surveyed the same place? From the maps you have shown
I certainly can't see any evidence or even a hint that data has been copied
there.

> By the way: How can WE as a project find out when someone uses our data
> and publishes them without contribution? I mean in commercial maps you
> have these little known mistakes but we try to avoid them so we can't
> just say: "You have this mistake in your map so you copied from us".

If it is large scale copying, somebody will notice sooner or later. If
it is only something here or there it doesn't matter anyway.

Jochen
--
Jochen Topf  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.remote.org/jochen/  +49-721-388298