On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 5:53 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 9:39 PM, SteveC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>
> http://www.flickr.com/map?&fLat=39.912&fLon=116.3783&zl=4&order_by=interestingness
> >
> > What is the appropriate flickr/yahoo support address to bug them to
> > add the OSM layer to other areas on the flickr map? The area I'm in
> > only has a very rough outline of the geography [1] and would benefit
> > from it.
> >
> > 1. http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=h&lat=64.136824&lon=-21.883564&zoom=14
> >

> I would agree 100%, the board (and all of us) should write to thank then
> and suggest that they make OpenStreetMaps available to cover the rest of
> the world (data is cheep/filtering specific areas is expensive).
>
> On a small point, they quote CC-SA 3.0. Isn't our data CC-SA 2.0??

Yes, but CC-BY-SA 2.0 has a forwards compatibility clause which allows them
to re-distribute under a later license: "You may distribute, publicly
display, publicly perform, or publicly digitally perform a Derivative Work
only under the terms of this License, *a later version of this License* with
the same License Elements as this License, or a Creative Commons iCommons
license that contains the same License Elements as this License (e.g.
Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 Japan)."

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/License
>
> From:
> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/
> --
> A new version of this license is available. You should use it for new
> works, and you may want to relicense existing works under it. No works are
> automatically put under the new license, however.
> --

I suspect that this is currently just a small scale experiment.  The URL of
the tiles perhaps gives some clues:
http://farm2.hv-static.flickr.com/1010/temp/osm/14/13488/6207.png

Their main map tiles and imagery are all served from a dynamic source,
whereas the URL suggests a small static temporary directory.  They'd need to
put a bit more infrastructure in place before they could rollout the whole
planet.

80n