If the community is capable of agreeing on one worldwide list of defaults,
then yes. I suggest our defaults be constructed so that we need to retag a
minimum of roads, e.g. by looking at TIGER classifications. Mappers will
learn this short list and will be able to map parts of foreign countries.

But I think they won't, in which case we need to tag everything explicitly.
Tagging things explicitly is how you create high quality databases.

"(a) if for some reason the traffic rules change so that the sign marking
that kind of road allows pedestrians, we don't have to edit all trunks
in a country, and"

Changing traffic rules is extremely expensive for governments, so they do it
very rarely. It is far more common for newbies to misclassify a road and
then we at least still have correct tags. An example so fresh that mapnik
still renders the mistake :
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-25.751366&lon=28.198875&zoom=18&layers=B00FTF

"(b) it fixes the problem where someone might not be familiar enough with
the traffic rules so he doesn't know for example that pedestrians
aren't allowed and doesn't add that access tag"

Mappers will still be allowed to omit tags.

I wouldn't be able to distinguish between and A road and a B road in the
U.K. and that's what highway=road is for. But I if I see a road with
cyclists on it, I'll know to tag it with bicycle=yes.

--
There's application for maxspeed in gosmore beyond routing. WinCE users want
to see that tag while they are driving. But I'm not going to make any