On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 6:55 PM, Ben Laenen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> It is far more common for newbies to
>> misclassify a road and then we at least still have correct tags. An
>> example so fresh that mapnik still renders the mistake :
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=-25.751366&lon=28.198875&zoom=18&la
>>yers=B00FTF
>
> Educate newbies then before they start mapping. It's a problem that

Ok. So I educate them, put them through an online testing system. And
then the chance that they classify something as a trunk road that is
in fact a primary road is still much greater than the chance that
properties of that road will change due to the government changing the
rules for all primary roads throughout the country.

If we want to accept anonymous or semi-anonymous edits, we need to
capture the information with the highest signal to noise ratio first.
(Wikipedia does this by asking people to site references). The access
restrictions applicable on bicycles are usually quite clear, so the
signal to noise ratio is high. Distinguishing between A and B roads
and converting that into OSM classifications is much more error-prone.

>> I wouldn't be able to distinguish between and A road and a B road in
>> the U.K. and that's what highway=road is for. But I if I see a road
>> with cyclists on it, I'll know to tag it with bicycle=yes.
>
> Yeah, but if you just tag what you see you'd be convinced that in some
> places cyclists can use the pavement for example. Seeing a lot of
> people doing it doesn't mean it's allowed.

The de facto OSM standard in Africa is to do exactly that. It's the
niche that OSM occupies.