On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 02:34:39PM -0400, Matthias Julius wrote:

> I also think it is confusing if two equivalent tags are recommended
> for the same thing.  If by whatever process it is determined that a
> new wah of tagging gates is recommended the old tag should point to
> the new one with the indication that the recommendation has changed.

I agree. this democracy and meritocracy thing is good for something, but
for the map to be really useful as a *world* map and not separated
islands, people need to understand that agreeing on tags are good. That
said, I have nothing against people using different tags for things not
decided yet, but harmonizing and deciding on a common scheme *should*
be a goal for everyone.

> > We have no mechanism to divide "good" from "bad" ideas. If you start
> > putting your ideas about what you think is good and "should" be used on
> > Map Features, then I will start putting mine on there as well, and
> > everyone else. That's why we don't want to go down this road. (And
> > before anyone asks, a vote in which 0.01% of mappers participate does
> > not elevate one idea about what is "good" above hundreds of others.)
>
> I agree with you here, but voting seems to be the current practice.

I always at least discuss on talk@ or on IRC if I'm a little in doubt.
I'll willingly admit that my ideas are not always best either, and if
someone has already thought of something better, we're all better off in
the long run.

This "do as you like, we're not deciding anything here" is really too
much touted :) Let's call them recommendations, and let us call the
deprecated tags deprecated, when there's actually been voting going on!
Noone should be offended by that.
--
- Vegard Engen, member of the first RFC1149 implementation team.