Tom,

You wrote: "No, but some of us are trying to work to achieve the best consensus
possible within the existing project while others appear to be trying to
fragment the project."

I don't think there has been a decision by any of us to "fork" OSM or
to "fragment" the community. I believe there is a group of people
interested in OSM that would like to discuss the ways we might
incorporate (and preserve) public domain data into OSM. Although the
idea of a separate (mirrored) software stack has been mentioned, no
firm decision has been made by any group to move in this direction. I
would personally oppose this approach because of the hostility it will
generate from other OSM members. I think a scenario in which OSM uesrs
can choose to upload there data to a public domain repository before
feeding it to the main OSM database and subjecting it to a "viral"
license will be very workable. There won't be any fork of OSM in this
case, just a place where people like myself can go to get OSM data
that is under the public domain.

Let me explain why this is important:

Let's say my comany is hired to build a GIS for a small irrigation
district in Central California. I convince my boss that it would be
great if we could collect our transportation data layer and contribute
it to OSM. He agrees to let me do this.

>From what I understand, under the new license, any dataset that we
build in-house based on the geometry or tags of data in the
transportation layer, which we choose to release to our client or
other parties, would have to be released under a share-alike license.
For obvious reasons this would not be possible.

However, if I can instead upload my companies transportation data
layer to a public domain repository before it goes into OSM, then I
can use it to build whatever other layers I want, without having to
worry about violating a share-alike clause in the OSM license.

Some people may tell me that I could do this any ways, even if my data
was subject to the new license, but based on the discussions I've read
on this list I think it is a real gray area. Having a public domain
repository takes away a great deal of the "share-alike violation"
fears a company like mine would have.

I'll take steps to set-up a mailing list that doesn't need to be
supported by OSM in an official way, but I hope the OSM community will
be more receptive to our idea of public domain data in the future. If
there are concerns about the way such a repository might affect the
growth of OSM, those that are interested in the idea should have an
opportunity to address these fears and respond to them.

The Sunburned Surveyor