Steve,

SteveC wrote:
> Guys OSM isn't going PD...

Who can say? OSM goes where the community wants it to. You were present
at SOTM 07; do you remember the show of hands when people were asked
what they think about PD? That the Foundation is investigating
share-alike licenses and not PD is due to the fact that we currently
have a small but outspoken minority in favour of share-alike. I'm all
for respecting their wishes but trying to stifle discussion about PD and
  make these people "go away" is surely going too far.

 > can't you go start
> ReallyFreeAndOpenStreetMap.org or something?

Well they were about to, but I'd rather try and keep everything under
one lid at this time. There is nothing against dual-licensing some data
if people want that - I could well imagine an editor setting that,
whenever you upload original data and you have the "PD flag" set,
uploads data into two repositories at the same time. I also still think
my pet project of having something like a "PD view" of OSM that contains
only those bits not touched by a viral license is not that bad.

While I do understand that the Foundation has a lot of work with the
proposed new license and any PD discussion does not make that easier, I
don't think that statements like yours above are helpful in any way. An
osm-pd mailing list would be the right answer - let legal-talk be the
forum for discussing the current as well as the proposed new license,
and any PD plans continue elsewhere *within* OSM.

Bye
Frederik

--
Frederik Ramm  ##  eMail [EMAIL PROTECTED]  ##  N49°00'09" E008°23'33"