I think the concerns about fragmenting OSM are valid. The problem with
two databases and two toolchains is that you've just cut the
"collaborative power" of OSM in half. I really think a situation in
which all OSM users get to benefit from the PD data will be best. This
will really make the whole idea a lot more palatable for the larger
OSM community.

If we do set up a separate database and toolchain, I think we should
definitely consider a mechanism (automated or manual) to regularly
integrate public domain contributions into OSM.

I suppose this could be trickier than I realize. For example: Someone
uploads a route to the PD database while someone else uploads it to
the main OSM database. Now you've got a conflict resolution problem.

Still, I really think it best if all of OSM gets to benefit from the PD data.

Landon