On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:00 AM, Pieren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:30 PM, sylvain letuffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> highway=pedestrian ; bicycle=yes/no => see [[Country specific default
> >> values]]
> >

> Well, the wiki page didn't exist - it was just an idea/suggestion ...
>
> > World-wide only defaults and no country defaults will simply not work:
>
> If you don't have a country specific default then your application
> will use the worl-wide default.
>
> Back to the example, highway=pedestrian is by default not allowed for
> bicycles (bicycle=no).
> This can be documented in the wiki page Tag:highway=pedestrian. If
> later, we see that many, many countries allows bicycles on pedestrian
> highways then we might decide to change the world-wide default as
> 'bicycle=yes' and the few countries where it's not allowed should
> appear in the page [[Country specific default values]].
>
> Pieren

Because using borders to locate entities within
countries/states/regions/cities is a Hard Problem which has yet to be solved
satisfactorily in OSM, what about tagging the ways with
access_rules=<ruleset>? Then the rules could easily be changed by country or
region if the respective government decides to modify the rules. Absent the
tag, it would mean the global defaults apply (along with any explicit
modifiers). Yes, it would mean an extra tag on every way, but only one
extra, not 5.

If it were done cleverly, you could make it hierarchical, with global
default access rules at the top, followed by, for example, modifications for
Germany, followed by modifications for Bavaria, followed by modifications
for Munich. Then you would just tag the ways access_rules=Munich (or
Muenchen, whatever). It has the advantage over using government borders in
that it could even support variations which may not be locality-based (i.e.,
US_rural or US_urban).

Something similar could be done for applying national speed limits. Instead
of just maxspeed=national, make it maxspeed=UK_national or England_national
or however it works.

Sincerely,

Karl