> >> highway=pedestrian ; bicycle=yes/no => see [[Country specific default
> >> values]]
> >

> Well, the wiki page didn't exist - it was just an idea/suggestion ...

Well, now it does exist ;-)
> If
> later, we see that many, many countries allows bicycles on pedestrian
> highways then we might decide to change the world-wide default as
> 'bicycle=yes' and the few countries where it's not allowed should

Then I have my first "counter example" with yours, what will happen if
thousand of guys haven't tagged bicycle=no on a pedestrian highways, not
because they didn't knew it was no, but because they knew it was the
default ?
Then "changing" the world wide default (or even a local one) will drop a
crutial information they knew but didn't tagged explicitly

I've been turning it in my mind for a few month, but I think we are in a
corner case here (see the noname proposal, the nomaxspeed proposal, and any
no* proposal)

"In the current schem, not tagging some feature cannot be destinguished from
the user didn't know or the user did suppose the default"

--
Sylvain Letuffe [EMAIL PROTECTED]
qui suis-je : http://slyserv.dyndns.org