Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> From outside it looks as though the OSM XML format and API are
> developing in the OSM community in a reasonable way.  What sort of help
> do you think OSM will need? Money to run servers if the load increases?

I think that's a current, rather than a future need :-)

>  An existing standards org with facilities and process for the API and
> the XML format? What was it you had in mind?

I would like to see some gentle persuasion applied and arguments
deployed in favour of a slightly more normative tagging schema than we
currently have. As you and the W3C have a great deal of expertise in the
area of the semantic web, you probably know how to best express the
truth I feel in my gut :-)

My deep concern is that OSM's data set will always be missing its full
potential because it's not consistent enough, when it could have been
more consistent with no more work if those doing the data entry had had
better guidance.

The Presets feature in JOSM is a good step forward, of course.

Gerv