On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:58 PM, Grant Slater
<openstreet...@firefishy.com> wrote:
> Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>> What sort of help do you think OSM will need? Money to run servers if
>> the load increases?  An existing standards org with facilities and
>> process for the API and the XML format? What was it you had in mind?
>>

> Yes, the OSM Foundation is badly in need of extra money (or highend
> hardware) to fund the next round of server hardware upgrades. In most
> cases we are already close to server capacity.
>
> We've also started looking for an additional hosting provider.

Has the option of collaboration with other free projects been explored
in this regard? One obvious option would be collaboration with
Wikimedia which has a much larger server cluster that could solve at
least some of the hosting problems for isolated parts of OSM. Like
tile serving.