MP <singularita <at> gmail.com> writes:

>I think we should find some way to avoid deleting at all. For some
>transitional time (in which the data will be still under cc-by-sa but
>we will be collecting consent of users for ODbL) mark data coming
>from/derived from people uncontactable/disagreeing with license with
>some special tag. Let people delete these parts and redraw them from
>scratch (from allowed sources/existing GPS tracks, anything except
>the original data).

You would have to be very careful about doing that.  I don't think it
would work to view the map, see a street tagged 'bad licence', delete
it and then add it back.  Even if you were honest enough to close your
eyes, turn around three times and then re-trace it from the aerial
photography, it still looks very suspect.  And when deleting the
street you would have to delete all its nodes, including those that
are intersections with other streets, since it obviously doesn't do
anything to delete the way but leave all the nodes there to be
straightaway reconnected.

Try this thought experiment: suppose a user imported data from Google
Maps and randomly scattered it around the map.  But he added a
special tag to it so that people could later delete these tainted map
features and recreate them.  Even after the last bit of tagged data
had been deleted and re-added, could you really claim that the
resulting map was clean and legally sound?

If a mishmash of CC-BY-SA and ODbL licensed map data is workable, then
let's trace all the missing towns from Google Maps right now and mark
them with a special tag to be replaced later when we get round to it.
I'm sure the Google licence doesn't allow you to mix it with your own
data and release the result under a licence of your choice, but then
neither does CC-BY-SA or the permission grant made by users when they
sign up to the project.

Since the reason for relicensing is to be ultra-cautious and take care
of certain theoretical legal bogeymen, it makes sense to be ultra-cautious
in removing possibly tainted data.  There is no point doing a relicensing
that leaves the project in a more questionable legal situation than before.

--
Ed Avis <e...@waniasset.com>