On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 23:50, Gervase Markham <gerv-gm...@gerv.net> wrote:
> On 03/03/09 18:39, Matthias Julius wrote:
>> It is not that simple.  What if those 5% is half of South Africa?  You
>> certainly can not interpolate overall OSM growth to re-surveying South
>> Africa.
>
> ...which is why this is an unanswerable question. Let's go through the
> exercise, see what the percentage actually is and where the data is, and
> then decide what to do.

Thayt is the worst thing - now you don't know who will agree to new
license and who don't (unless you have some magic crystal ball). So
you don't know which data are going to be removed and how much of them
would it be until the last moment. You can only guess or estimate
that, though once we start gathering consent for new license, we'll be
having lower bound for the estimate - we will know for some data that
these will stay there for sure (data for people wioth consent for new
license) and the rest maybe yes, maybe no.

I thought of one improvement - in addition to allowing people to
consent to new license, allow them also to (completely voluntary)
agree to Public domain their contributions. Some of the people on
wikipedia (though not nearly a majority) does that for their
contributions and many photos on wikimedia commons are under PD, so I
assume some contributors may like it here too - then give them the
possibility. Some tools to extract only PD subset of data could be
added later if necessary (export list of users agreeing to PD would
make this possible).
And as wikipedia offers their complete dump with entire history, we
maybe can offer planet dump with entire history in it too, so it could
be easier to pick up only the PD contributions (or basically to dig
through history for any reason without querying the main server)

Martin