On Mar 18, 2009, at 4:53 AM, Lester Caine wrote:

> While the effort being put into links WITH wikipedia are to be
> applauded, many of us are no longer contributing to wikipedia
> because of
> their propensity to kill of material that is not 'noteworthy'!
>
> On a number of occasions in the past I have linked to articles only
> later to find the 'censors' message at the end of a link :( and I know
> we have had this discussion in the past where other OSM contributors
> have found the same problem.

This is a serious enough issue that it should be escalated to the
OSMF.  They should make an arrangement with Wikipedia saying: that an
article linked from OSM to Wikipedia is by definition noteworthy, and
that that justification cannot be used to delete an article from
Wikipedia.  There might be other reasons: for example that the
locations linked between OSM and Wikipedia are in fact not related, or
the *location* is not worth including in OSM.

If we're going to cooperate with Wikipedia, then they need to
cooperate with us by not allowing any dangling links.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson