From: David Earl [mailto:da...@frankieandshadow.com]
Sent: 17 July 2009 11:14
To: Birgit Huesken
Cc: talk@openstreetmap.org
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Residential home

Birgit Huesken wrote:
>>> There are places where people, who for different reasons can't stay
>>> alone or in their families, live. The idea is to create a
>> What you are describing is normally known (at least here) as "shelters".
For homeless people and domestic violence victims etc.

> If I understood you correctly, shelters are something like "emergency
> places" or homes where people stay for a comparably short time.
> What I mean are places where people really _live_ instead of staying
> alone or with their families, not for emergency reasons but following
> a decision well thought over. Don't know if this sounds a bit pathetic
> but I don't know how to describe it in a better way at the moment.

Residential Home in the UK is definitely a term to describe a place
where usually elderly people, but vulnerable people in general, live
communally, usually involving professional care and sometimes advanced
medical care (though this is often called a Nursing Home; the
distinction is not a hard one).

So I think your tag is an appropriate description.

Emergency shelters are something else. (And in many cases will not be
recognisable from the street as they often need to be discreet - e.g.
refuges)

David