John Smith wrote:

> The distinction is that highway=rural isn't as well maintained, or
> has as much traffic as highway=residential, so if residential is
> lower than unclassified, then rural is lower than residential, but
> higher than track

"Rural is lower than residential" doesn't arise, because by definition
"residential" means a built-up area, so it ain't rural.

I would humbly suggest highway=minor is a better tag because

- the adjective "rural" could apply to a motorway in the countryside
- it's already in the Mapnik stylesheet ;)

cheers
Richard