On 26/08/2009, at 1:38 PM, John Smith wrote:
> I agree, we need more tags to describe the railway crossing's
> feature set, boom_gate=no, lights=no etc, however this is a special
> case for stop signs because they will exist either side of the
> junction and never applies to the railway line. Unlike junctions of
> road traffic which needs to be differentiated from the way.

This brings up an interesting question, when you're "finding the
nearest junction" to use for stop key on a node, what counts as a
junction? It's going to be a node which belongs to the current way and
at least one other way satisfying certain conditions, but what are
those conditions? If we are to use the stop key, I think those
conditions will need to be explicitly spelt out, so that you can
process the data.

One obvious possibility would be ways that have highway=* tags -
should footway/cycleway/path crossing count as junctions?

If we're going to automagically determine which junction the Stop
applies to, why do we even need a new key with yes/both/-1 values?
Surely we could just say that if the existing highway=stop tag is
applied to a node belonging to a single way (and not an intersection,
which has the current meaning), then the Stop applies to traffic on
the current way approaching the closest junction.