On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM, John Smith<delta_foxt...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Thu, 27/8/09, Roy Wallace <waldo000...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You also seem to be saying that "routing software" should
>> work out
>> *for itself* which junction the stop sign applies to. I
>> disagree - the
>> mapper on the ground should be able to enter this
>> information in the
>> database.
>
> Then we should add is_in tags to every node and every way and every relation
> to show what is where so software doesn't need to guess which boundary
> applies to which node, way, relation.

There are two important differences:
1) The meaning of a particular way or node is separate from the value
of is_in. On the other hand, the meaning of a requirement to stop is
NOT separate from knowledge of the junction to which it applies.

2) ANY kind of way/node could be marked with is_in. On the other hand,
marking the junction to which a requirement to stop applies is only
relevant to that particular requirement to stop.