On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 8:11 PM, MP<singular...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/09/2009, Peter Körner <osm-li...@mazdermind.de> wrote:
>> > I'm against voting. Voting is a way to take responsibility away from the
>>  > individual. I think that in most cases we should strive to have
>>  > individuals responsible for everything (just like with mapping - you
>>  > don't suggest something which the community then votes upon, you just
>> map).
>>
>> But this could lead to reverting as a extended form of vandalism (which
>>  is much more effective!)
>
> They you can use the tool again and just revert the revert.
>
> Currently, messing things up things is easy, even without any revert
> tool, reverting them (without asking someone with DB access to do the
> dirty job) is not so easy.

Can I just point out that there are so special permissions, no special
DB access, or any other special stuff used to do anything with
reverting.

There was a tool for API 0.5 (written by me) that required DB access
which was used to revert changes made by users involved with copyright
infringement. This tool has become completely redundant since API 0.6
as the information it was using (finding every edit of a user) has
become easily and publicly accessible through the changeset API. Even
that tool just resulted in an osc file uploaded by bulk_upload.pl. The
only reason you need DB access now is if you're trying to find
information on a user with non-public edits, but as there aren't any
new ones of those I think that's a limited problem.

As far as I know most of the tools used for reverting currently are
also public -- the problem being, they're dangerous to use if you
don't know what you're doing, not at all user friendly, deliberately
hard to use to make sure you do know what you're doing, and not
remotely capable of dealing with conflicts.

Dave