On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM, Dave Stubbs<osm.l...@randomjunk.co.uk> wrote:
> As far as I know most of the tools used for reverting currently are
> also public -- the problem being, they're dangerous to use if you
> don't know what you're doing, not at all user friendly, deliberately
> hard to use to make sure you do know what you're doing, and not
> remotely capable of dealing with conflicts.
>
> Dave

That's where I disagree. We should stop considering 'revert' as
'dangerous to use if you don't know what you're doing'. It is not more
dangerous as any other edits, it's just a different way to select
elements and modify them. The only difference is that you refere to a
particular state of the dataset (changeset) which might be obsolete
(in which case the 'easy revert' should be aborted) in the same way as
when two contributors work in parallel in the same area.
We cannot say in one side "let the crowd create, modify or delete
elements as easy as possible" and in the other side "make revert hard
to use".
I'm still in favour of having an "easy revert" as a first attempt on
the main site and only provide more complexe tools into editors in
case of conflicts. But you will have to explaine how you deal with the
145 changesets of RR8 if you have to enter manually each number in
your editor.
Pieren