On 11/12/2009 16:16, Peter Childs wrote:

> Hmm the Fork is strong? in the case of X XFree86 (ie the original) is
> almost unknown now. and the Fork meant many years of little or no
> development on what is the main graphics sub-system used across
> multiple operating systems.

In the case of XFree86, everybody abandoned it very quickly because of
the way they did the licence change. As soon as it was forked, some
major distribution switched to X.Org. XFree86 was already pretty much
dead due to the way they restricted development.
I don't know where you have seen no development. One of the first thing
that X.Org was to unmerge all the unmaintanable libraries that were
merged into the X windowing system. It came very quickly. There were
lots of development but none or little on XFree86.
Honestly, this is one of the worse example you could have chosen.
The fork happened in early 2004 and by september 2004, you already had
two releases. Lots of projects that were stuck suddenly could be
implemented like compositing.

Emilie Laffray