I just assumed street maps was its original purpose that it outgrew as it
became more popular.

However, there's great value in having "everything with a position on the
Earth" in the one true geofabric.  Assuming the OSMF is happy to have the
database be populated with said objects.

I'm sure you can still run up a stylesheet that just shows streets if you want.
 (-: