Oh, so you are talking about a fork in an open source project. Of
course I realised that you didn't really mean "death" but I thought
you might mean that Liz Dodds and Talk-au were going to cut my nodes
off. ;-)

I was under the impression that a certain amount of forking was
encouraged in open source development. Better to have two happy
projects with happy communities, each doing their own thing than one
miserable one where all we do is talk hyperbollocks about how we are
going to get ripped off and what a disaster it is going to be if data
has to be deleted.

PY

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Peter Childs <pchi...@bcs.org> wrote:
> 2009/12/11 paul youlten <paul.youl...@gmail.com>:
>> Peter,
>>
>> That sounds bad. Can you give us some examples?
>>
>> PY

>>> From having seen it in quite a few Open Source projects, it would be a
>>> death sentence.
>>>

> Hmm Maybe these have not all died but the split did cause serious damage.
>
> X (You now have a choice of X.org and XFree86), The split caused a
> long halt in development and the original is hardly used now, only the
> branch....
>
> Joomla/Mambo
>
> I'm sure there are others
>
> Peter.