2009/12/11 Emilie Laffray <emilie.laff...@gmail.com>:

> 2009/12/11 Peter Childs <pchi...@bcs.org>
>>
>> Hmm Maybe these have not all died but the split did cause serious damage.
>>
>> X (You now have a choice of X.org and XFree86), The split caused a
>> long halt in development and the original is hardly used now, only the
>> branch....
>>
>> Joomla/Mambo
>>
>> I'm sure there are others
>>

> Hum, the examples you are choosing are interesting but not for the reason
> you think. Please note that I am not advocating a fork far from it.
> In the two cases you cited, the fork is actually very strong, and there was
> very little damage.

Hmm the Fork is strong? in the case of X XFree86 (ie the original) is
almost unknown now. and the Fork meant many years of little or no
development on what is the main graphics sub-system used across
multiple operating systems.

Project split for many reasons but I will never think that a split is
or was a good thing. I would prefer in almost all cases one good tool
for the job, instead of 3 tools that all do the same job badly.

Lets work together rather than apart, our strength is in the Union.

Peter

Peter.