You mean, how would the city council benefit apart from the fact they are participating in a free, powerful routable map with loads of features? Free worldwide distribution, availability on several types of equipment. Software to make everything from local restaurant guides, to routable maps with custom warnings.

Besides there are thousands and thousands of volunteers doing the work for them, without getting paid, demanding no more than access to the finished works.

brgds
Aun Johnsen