On 17/04/2011 08:39, Andrew Harvey wrote:
On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Michael Collinson<m...@ayeltd.biz>  wrote:
...From Sunday, we will run 5 weeks allowing folks
who decline the ability to continue editing, i.e. CC-BY-SA only
contributions. The objective is get the remaining 77,000 to accept or
decline. If that runs slowly, we add up to 5 more weeks. Else, we proceed to
the question of actually switching from CC-BY-SA to ODbL and has no date
set.
Mike, if the OSMF is permitting current contributors to decline the
CTs and continue editing, i.e. CC-BY-SA only contributions, why can't
the OSMF allow new contributors to sign up and decline the CTs and
begin editing CC-BY-SA only contributions?
Andrew, Time and not making a rod for our own backs is the short answer.

There are 370,000 registered users today. We were much criticised, and in retrospect I think rightly, for trying to push things through while the user base was small and the process maneagable for a volunteer team. Doing it this way, the problem does not grow and we are moving at the much slower pace demanded. Reaching, informing and persuading 77,000 folks with 12,500 of them contributing 98%+ of all OSM data is still daunting but possible. Older users should also have been around long enough for most to know that a license change has been actively discussed since 2005 and be aware of some of the issues.

As to the converse. Much as I would like to completely assume that the process will succeed, it may not, and it would be unfair to cut off older contributors in this way until the numbers become clearer.

If we make the numbers, then these new users are unaffected.

If we do not, new users are still unaffected, they have agreed to the use of either CC-BY-SA or ODbL. They also have the right, which older contributors do not, of triggering a democratic, frameworked and much shorter process to demand a license change ... which could of course include CC-BY-SA.

Mike