2011/5/3 M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com>:
> You seem to imply that relations are faster / less manual work
> requiring when entering addresses manually with one of the OSM
> editors, but from my own experience they require at least the same
> (manual) work, if not more.

Creating relation could be same, or even more extra work, this is
correct (but fixable in editor level). Point of avoiding redundancy
(normalization) is to make maintenance easier in long run. How much
manual work do you need to do if any of the underlying object is
modified: street names change now and then, sometimes whole
administrative system is reformed and even Europe has countries added
or merged every decade.

 OSM database is more or less fully topologically clean (in geometry
terms) and this is something what I really admire from my GIS
background. Any duplicate node is error. It would make sense to follow
same pattern for tags also: invalidate duplicate tag values. At least
in long run.

 With implicit (polygon-derived) spatial relations there is no need
for enduser to maintain most of the the relations: just make sure that
the region polygon is complete. With explicit relation you can always
override spatial relations, this would enable to cover also the "city
address outside of city polygon" case.

--
Jaak