Simon Poole wrote:
Yes, the development in the area of Open Data poses a serious challenge to OSM.
I suspect that the attitude of large parts of the community is that OGD is a
good thing, however I'm also fairly sure that there is no community consensus
that OSM should aspire to import everything that is available just because it is
there. In the end we want to produce an editable, community sourced map of the
world, not simply a copy of data that is available (and remains available)
elsewhere.

In support of importing data that is available, the cadastre dataset is probably a good 'benchmark' where fine detail such as building are available, but this lacks the additional information such as street names and numbers, which is exactly where OSM can step in and enhance the data?

But I view the situation as one were OSM will provide a level playing field where a vast basket of OGD data in multiple formats will be merged into a coherent whole? And perhaps some of that data will only be accessible on secondary servers as overlays?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL