2012-09-18 Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch>

> The question of (for example of an operational problem) communication to
 active mappers is a technical problem that we will have to address
> at
one point in time. Either by assuring that the e-mail address remains
valid or by other technical means. However that is not the issue in
question,
> simply the fact that we have a large number of imports that
are badly documented or not at all, should not have been imported in he
first place
> (incompatible with CC-bs-SA or/and ODbL) and so on.

> The French cadastre imports are, as you know, a rather controversial subject.
> In my opinion it is a dataset that doesn't actually increase
the
> usefulness of the OSM dataset for most users (building outlines
without addresses just don't really help with anything) and distracts
beginner
> mappers from actually mapping (1st time mappers are recommend
to immediately start importing insted of going outside). Further more,
> like essentially all imports, the external dataset is not about to go
away, so there is no reason to prioritize this import over adding useful stuff.

Simon, this discussion was started to discuss about governance. We only see
examples of problematic imports. But the question we should look at is how we
can better tune or multinational / multicultural organization to adress these
problems.  The respective roles of local communities and the DWG group have to
be defined. We should also give tools to the local communities to monitor
mapping, contact mappers, be able to exchange.  And we should not only think of
national groups. You sometime have groups at regional or municipal levels.

> BUT the import guidelines do not contain a provision that
 the data imported actually has to be useful and if the French community
 wants to spend (waste?)

> immense amount of time on this, nobody is going to stop it as long as it
> doesn't severely impact operations and/or use
of OSM data.

Lets think more positively about bout national / local communities and give
them the capacity to do a better job.  Large organization have this tendancy of
centralizing everything and adopt simple rules. But the experience has showed
that this does not work.

There are more then 500,000 contributors. How many do you think know about the
DWG group and follow his guidelines?

Pierre