Great !

potlatch and josm and some elements of it in vector files from OS and
other sources. You are having to stitch together 'pictures' and then
your 'automatic processing' is recreating vector data from the
'pictures'?

I don`t know all details but yes this is something like that

yes has pdf is vectorised but if i rember well what you see as a simple yellow
rectangle is an overlay of different rectangle inside pdf code explaining
partly why we have some geomtry problems with contigous buildings.

raster overlay for France to use as a background 'source' which could
potentially be used to trace from, but can be used in conjunction with
BING imagery to corss check?
The French cadastre licence doesn't allow us to redistribute cadastre data as
they are so I think it is not legally possible to do that.
The other issue is related to projection : Mercator for Bing and Lambert 9
zones for French cadastre. In addition to that not all the french cities have
vectorised cadastre data. There are still a lot of cities which have raster
data that are just scan of cadaster paper plan without georeferencing ( Feurs
in 42-Loire by example )

since it's not externally available? We have several versions of the OS
data along with the historic maps for the UK, and I feel sure that
should be achievable in France as well?
I don't know if some people are interested in historic maps or such kind of map
aspects in french community

the 'staging layer' and I'm sure that since you are providing each
building as a shape then in the future it should be possible to maintain a
'building_id' that can be used with the sort of merge tools I am
looking for to handle this type of data?
We have a tool called "bati fusion" that try to perfom a diff between OSM files
to make merging easier by using building shape comparison I think but I don`t
know if it is massively used. I personnally know the guy who developped it if
you are interested

Cheers
Julien