Am 18.10.2012 23:34, schrieb Jérome Armau:
Keep in mind that we're trying to make the openstreetmap project accessible to a larger share of the population. In every single country, that means appealing to a non-computer-geek crowd. For example, the usage of "-Djosm.home=<dir>" is dark magic to most people. Even though it's acceptable to most users of this list who are well used to the inner workings of their computer system, it's just plain wrong to advise any non-power-user to do this.
I disagree that it's about non-power users here.
As far as I understood we speak about a relatively big group of mappers from France doing these imports. I understood that it's more or less impossible for the French community to speak English, be it to understand received messages written in English or documenting the import in a language that would be readable for the majority of the worldwide community (I hope, that's still true, but it was said in any previous email that the cadastre stuff lacks documentation in English in the wiki).

[General note: you in the following refers to the french cadastre importers group, not to you, Jérome alone or personally]

Within that relatively large group of importing mappers I guess there is one or a small subgroup of power-users. Why should that be impossible to work out a best practice for that imports, e.g. to suggest the separate account and the Djosm.home parametrization for JOSM for easy switching? A .bat and .sh script doing that would be easily set up, I think. I even guess (untested) it would be possible to create a script where all josm data is syncronized by symlinks or something like that except of the user settings to apply on upload.

Obviously you are able to explain how to use the data sets as a source, but it should not be possible to add a small script to use for starting JOSM when importing? or other stuff?

You managed to create a dedicated JOSM plugin for the cadastre import [1], that even contains a josm command line to use because of the memory limit of the JVM, but it should be impossible to add a separat parameter to that?

Someone of you created a dedicated interface [2] for the cadastre import stuff, but a simple tool to enable every mapper to conform to the import rules should be impossible?

I agree that issues like mails written in English aren't the best thing the DWG could have done to contact about these issues - but as far as I know there's no French member in the volunteer group of the DWG who want's to help here, and if you complain, that it's not allowed to require French mappers to know English enough to read messages received, why do you require non-french mappers to know how to write (usually that's more difficult) mails in French for the case that particular mapper is not able to read English (keep in mind: still a lot of wiki pages are not translated to French, same as for most other languages). At least I think that every mapper on the world should be aware that it's an international project; and if I get a message in an international project I don't understand and which is not obviously spam (I don't know stats about that, but personally I don't see a spam problem in osm messaging), I ask back, telling the sender that I'm not able to understand it due to language problems, yes, if not possible otherwise, I do that in my own language.

If I as a German mapper, who's not able to read or write (or speak) French and I would get a message from someone from France in French, I would try to translate it, ask someone to translate it for me and/or respond with a short note that I'm not able to read that message and politely ask for the message in German or English. Everything I read in the mails about cadastre is that it's not acceptable to get a Message in English, and therefore everything is the DWGs fault (more or less).

French cadastre import as I see it as a non-french speaking mapper seems to be some kind of not French local chapter stuff, but isolated French OSM community: own rules (to some extend), no documentation for foreigners, less motivation to communicate to foreigners when contacted by them.

Personally and as I understand many messages of this thread I think most issues could be solved, but that needs communication and collaboration; and I didn't read ANY question for help (but at least one offer). Instead rules that seem not to be objected by many others are constantly opposed as not applying for obscure reasons or not acceptable for reasons like the mandate of DWG or things like that.

Why?

regards
Peter

[1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/FR:JOSM/Fr:Plugin/Cadastre-fr
[2] http://cadastre.openstreetmap.fr/

In non-English-speaking countries, that also means that the average contributor: - does not have a very good command of English (beyond the tagging standards)
- does not know about services such as Google translate

I'm confident a significant portion of French, German, Italian and Spanish contributors are in this case. These people are not represented on this mailing list, but need to be taken into account in these decisions.

    On 10/18/2012 10:30 PM, Eric Marsden wrote:
    >   - the way in which DWG is undertaking its monitoring+blocking, by
    >     sending aggressive messages to contributors in a language
    which they
    >     can be presumed not to understand

    <sarcasm on>
    So a requirement for the membership of the DWG should be that you
    are a
    polyglot. Of course all messages about issues in country X should be
    send in the official language and those of all known minority
    languages
    of the country.
    <sarcasm off>

    I think it is more reasonable to assume that any contributor to a
    multinational open project like openstreetmap knows how to use
    <http://translate.google.com> or any other such service.

    The continued use of the argument "the message was not in French" is
    just silly. You don't have to like that the lingua franca of the
    internet age is English, but if you want to be heard in projects like
    OSM, you better accept it.

    ---
    m.v.g.,
    Cartinus

    P.S. No, English is not my native language.