Am 13.01.2013 um 12:46 schrieb Philipp Kandal <philipp.kan...@skobbler.com>:
> On 01/11/2013 03:26 PM, Alex Barth wrote:
>> Over here at MapBox we see a need to better communicate the open and
>> contributory philosophy of OpenStreetMap on our maps.
> I fully agree with that vision and I think overall one of the key things
> of that is that people using services made with OpenStreetMap (such as
> Foursquare, Mapbox or our skobbler) can be better encouraged to become
> active OSM community members.
> So we would be definitely supportive of such a standardization and better
> communication.

+1

> On 01/11/2013 05:03 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>
>> Also, we in OpenStreetMap have often positioned ourselves as "more than
>> just markers on a map", and logo suggestions involving the typical map
>> marker teardrop have been rejected (loudly) in the past because of that.
> If we try to fit all symbolism in the logo it will certainly fail, so I
> think here we have to make a compromise and foremost a logo must be catchy
> and easy to identify. Even the best logos (e.g. Twitters bird) catch only
> part of the identity (in this case freedom) and not every single aspect of
> a service.

while this might be true there is still an open question whether a hammer is
the best symbol to choose from. (One could argue that it is a good
representation for someone actually doing something, but on the other hand it's
also a symbol for something not done in the most precise way ).
Personally if I had to choose from these two:
http://www.deutschesinstitut.it/Newsletter/bilder/ddr_hammer_sichel.png
I would have chosen the compasses. ;-)

cheers,
Martin