On 16/01/13 22:33, Christian Quest wrote:
The current legal requirement is only about a text because no official icon was existing.

If one is chosen, what prevents us to upgrade the requirements to leave the choice between the "© OpenStreetMap contributors" or the new chosen icon ?

To me the copyright symbol, ©, is understood worldwide to have a specific meaning, replacing it with a new made-up symbol loses the meaning completely. I do like the idea of a small, clickable icon to identify OSM, but I don't see how that replaces the well understood © symbol and attribution statement. I would be happy to reduce 'Openstreetmap' to 'OSM' for brevity.

MapQuest have a small icon that they request people embed into any site using their Open map tiles (based on OSM data). I believe they follow its use to help them build stats or some such. It looks fine, but I add "© Openstreetmap contributors" too, as per the licence we spent so long struggling to implement.

--
Cheers, Chris
user: chillly