> Isn't the purpose of "OSM and Contributors" to "credit" or "attribute"
> the
> source of the map tile data?

Maybe, maybe not. More importantly - the fact that there's a discussion
what this "mark" tries to communicate means that it fails to do it
properly in the first place.

At first glance I thought it was just sort of a banner to promote OSM
but if it is to replace the legal attribution then it's not really doing
that job. I support Kai's idea about separating the two functions. I
like the Wikipedia example. It would be really cool to have a widely
known "edit" button/symbol/"mark" sitting in the corner of embedded maps
to show that the map is a living thing that can be corrected, enriched
etc.

I also agree with Tom - naming stuff *is* very important and is
definitely not a side issue. Right now "contributors mark" suggests at
least two different things - list of contributors or some kind of award
for being a contributor and neither of them is true... This stuff should
really be dead simple and intuitive, if you have to think about it as a
user, explain, discuss then forget it, it won't work in the wild. Of
course it's always harder to communicate more with less but that's the
main challenge I  see here...

Paweł