Guillaume Pratte wrote:
I really like the OpenStreetMap project, and I dream to be able to use it as a
primary map instead of Google Maps. I feel resolving these issues would bring
me many steps closer to making that dream come true.

What do you all think? Do you also have showstoppers that prevent you to use
OpenStreetMap as your primary and daily map?

Rather than answering each point individually I'll give a general reply of the way *I* think things want to move forward.

Openstreetmap has provided a base on which to build applications, and 'routing' is an area where there are some good routing engines available on-line using the 'common' database. We are now looking to address the missing 'historic' data via openhistoricalmap with local groups looking to process material they have into a more common format that can be shared. That is the key here, sharing material.

Personally I have my own build of OSRM routing running locally so I can then look at adding my own local materiel since personally I do not like a few of the important directions currently generated by all of the current engines. And I can DO that which is the major difference between OSM and google/bing mapping!

The in thing at the moment is 'the cloud', but once again commercial enterprise has hijacked what should be another cooperation tool? While providing backup of our important data elsewhere on the system is a good use of the system, the bulk of unused processing power is based in our own computers, which with the increasing 'unlimited' bandwidths available could be used to perhaps render higher resolution tiles over night somewhere in the world? More practical here is the use of our local machines to run much as stand alone sat nav's do nowadays. We simply download a view of the local area along with routing data from another source on 'the cloud' and then don't need an internet connection to use that data. Important around here since current navigation has many blank areas as I loose mobile broadband completely. What is the point of our having to pay even for 3G when most of the time you can't even get a connection, and can't get at your 'centrally stored' data ;) And 4G is another joke, when it's only available were wireless hotspots provide a better cover?

I hope people are seeing where this is going? Do we want to replace google/bing ... probably not ... even for world wide cover? Do we want to provide a much better service 'locally', yes, something that the likes of google/bing can't easily address? I'm running 'locus' on my tablet and phone. It's not prefect, but I can select a map source and a routing engine and even go off-line. All the tools are in place to do most of what we want, so the target now should be to improve 'distribution' so that we can pick up locally enhanced feeds easier and reduce the load on the 'main' map? My next problem is simply addressing the holes in my one use of OSM which is another discussion.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL