I'm also in favor of such a first page... maybe organized as a splash
screen (view/edit/get involved) on top of the existing map.

At least it shows that OSM if not only the default map. I would add
one more thing "more tools" to link to other maps ans dites based on
OSM data providing tools to end users (like mapquest, skobbler,
openlinkmap, etc, etc).

2013/7/11 Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org>:
> Hi,
>

> On 07/11/2013 11:12 AM, Ian Sergeant wrote:
>>
>> In my opinion, it was an unfortunate decision taken when
>> openstreetmap.org <http://openstreetmap.org> moved from being the wiki
>>
>> site, to the being our own map rendering.
>

> Time for me, again, to bring up this
>
> http://www.freeworldmap.org/draft-index3.html
>
> - a design that someone made about 10 years ago or so as a suggestion for a
> new OSM front page. It was frequently discussed on the list (google for "osm
> three column page" or so) and there were several versions circulating over
> the years.
>
> I don't think anybody is suggesting to use this now, but I'm just writing to
> say that there has always been a lot of support for the idea of showcasing
> something other than the map.
>

> Bye
> Frederik
>

> --