I actually love the social features in iD.  I like being able to share on
Facebook that I've just edited my hometown. I think it's a great way to
start conversations around OSM and share an interest of mine with my
friends,  as well as raise general awareness of the project.

Obviously not everyone uses those social platforms,  which is perfectly
fine,  but I think having the sharing option built in is a great feature.