Pieren,

But I was extremetely surprise to see "twitter" and "facebook" after the
save action. Is OSM still an open data project mainly driven by open
source applications ? Are we really moving to the commercial side of the
internet ? I have no words to express my shock (I have but it would
censored).

Like you, I am very critical of "data silos" like Facebook, and I find it sad that so many people un-thinkingly embrace such proprietary platforms.

I think that as an open project, we must be very careful not to endorse these platforms - under no circumstances should we send out the message that you can be a better mapper if you sign up to Facebook.

But at the same time it is not for us to re-educate people. Facebook and other similar platforms are an important part in the social life of many people nowadays - in some countries, there's more OSM activity on Facebook than there is on the national OSM mailing list, and all that without our involvement.

While making sure not to *endorse* proprietary social platforms, at the same time we should respect the decision of those who want to use them, and we shouldn't make it artifically hard for these users to include OSM in their "social platform life".

It is a difficult balance to strike but it is something that requires a nuanced view. Freedom and openness also means that people have the freedom to use Facebook.

(And yes, the issue tends to be viewed with less ideological weight on the other side of the Atlantic. Then again, I believe that Potlatch 1 also had a "post my edit on Twitter" link?)

Bye
Frederik