Thanks so much for running those numbers! Actual data is helpful in a
conversation that has contained quite a few assumptions.

(Continuing the assumption trend...) Anecdotally, as someone who only
became an active editor last year, I found P2 more accessible than JOSM as
a new contributor. I had an experienced contributor show me how to use
both,  but would usually default to P2. I could tell that JOSM was more
feature-rich,  but I found it overwhelming.  I felt "safer" in P2 as i was
getting started.

I'm not a new contributor anymore, but I think that iD is following this
trend. Even now, I almost always default to iD when I'm editing-- the
cleaner interface is less overwhelming to me,  and it's very rare that I'm
doing something that isn't supported by iD.