Simon Poole wrote:
Lester

Isn't
a) the welcome box
and
b) the Learn more/About page
a -lot- better on explaining what OSM is about than anything you could
find within one click (if at all) on the old site?

I really fail to see what you believe was better about the old layout,
maybe if you could give an example?

If you simply remove the welcome box, then the page looks very much as if one is already logged into something? Most of the dropdowns make no sense UNTIL one has an account and are logged in? What is 'export' intended to do? I just get a white screen when I click the button.

The 'about' page seems like a waste of space? The fact that 75% of my screen is grey was the first put off, but I could not find links that took me to anything usable from that page. It NEEDS to take you on to somewhere that is a little more useful? Also the help button is equally obscure? The help list is not the easiest to understand, only wiki gives a feeling of something helpful, which is why I've defaulted links to that rather than the map.

The 'improved' page is ideal as a general interface to editing the map, but what is needed is a 'community' page - which the old page provided! - at least there was some direction to other areas rather than having to search for any usable links! While the old setup was messy, it did it's job reasonably well, and we STILL need that type of page, with improvements which the new setup totally ignores! We need links to LOCAL community pages and LOCAL support and that is what the 'about' box should be doing at the very least!

At least the old page was 'functional' even if it was not 'elegant' ... looking at the way 'Google maps' work, bringing back a right hand area which can be hidden is probably what is required but what is currently provided is not doing the job as far as I am concerned. What we have now is not usable as advertsing for OSM, which is what all the 'View larger map' links are designed to access?