Possible reasons:
- they don't want their clients to think they're being guided by maps
that are not made by professionals (a silly prejudice)
- they don't want to tell the world that OpenStreetMap exists by
adding attribution to their software UI (possibly due to existing
contracts or branding)

But I think that's silly:
-
http://www.navigon.com/portal/uk/kundenservice/faq.html?id=20208453&content_identifier=faq&page=28
- http://www.garmin.com/uk/topolight/
- http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/30/telenav-buys-skobbler/

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Johan C <osm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So we're wondering why OpenStreetMap, being better (superior?) than Google
> in map data, is not used by commercial companies like BMW. Is there a native
> German on this list who can ask BMW why they're not using OSM?

>> Am 17.03.2014 04:53, schrieb Hans Schmidt:
>>
>>> If I, as a company, would use some map provider, I would definitely go
>>> for "at least everywhere a minimum level of coverage" instead of only a
>>> few places with excellent coverage.
>>
>> There was a comparison about Google and OSM a fow years ago. It showed
>> that even on some non-European countries (e.g. Africa) a lot of citties are
>> mapped better in OSM than Google: at least at that time there was no
>> financial benefit for the commercial map providers to map all these places.
>> Maybe this improved a little bit, but I don't think so...
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Michael.

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"The speed of computer chips doubles every 18 months." (Moore's law)
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." (Gates' law)