If I understand this issue right, those are not even translations, but
transliterations. It's the icelandic name written in another character
set, so that someone who doesn't know latin letters or iclandic
pronounciation can make the sounds of that word. It's not a genuine
translation into another language.

This issue is a problem in Korea too.
Koreans say "write {placename} in English" when they actually mean
"write this in the revised romanization". In OSM this leads to a
problem: Sometimes there is a real English placename for something, and
sometimes there is only a romanization.

Example for illustration:
name:서울역
name:ko:서울역
name:ko_rm:Seoulyeok
name:en:Seoul Station

(ko_rm is actually non-standard and should be ko-Latn)
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Names#Localization