On Friday 06 January 2017, Andy Townsend wrote:

> I'd much rather the direction on this came from the community rather
> than the board (and yes, there will obviously be as many different
> views as there are OSM mappers).  If "the communication I've seen
> from community members making reverts has left a lot of rough
> feelings" then let's talk about it (for a start; which particular
> actions are we talking about?

It seems to me by the way that negative feelings of people whose
activities have clashed with the DWG are natually more voiceful than
those of people who contacted the DWG in despair because they are
swamped with an undiscussed import or because they made a mistake
themselves and ask for help after getting in trouble with others about
it.  These countless people who are grateful for the help are mostly
silent.

> Activities such as https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/44923663
> (to take an example revert action from me yesterday) are going to
> become more common as more people use OSM.  In this case the sequence
> of events was detect the problem, revert the vandalism, block the
> user and request that an admin delete the account (which was created
> just for that purpose).  I'd argue that those actions (apart from
> block the user) should be able to be carried out by anyone familiar
> enough with OSM to recognise the problem, and we should actually
> encourage everyone in that position to do so - providing that they
> can recognise the difference between obvious vandalism (as happened
> here) and a business owner unable to get the hang of editing and
> renaming something nearby by mistake.

Exactly - and on average you can assume that active mappers are usually
careful when reverting others' work.  The on-the-ground rule usually
gives us a very powerful tool to resolve conflicts, something that
other communities like wikipedia lack.

And the user blocks - which are the only real power of the DWG - are
well documented on http://www.openstreetmap.org/user_blocks

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/